2 unable or unwilling to perceive or understand; "blind to a lover's faults"; "blind to the consequences of their actions"
3 not based on reason or evidence; "blind hatred"; "blind faith"; "unreasoning panic" [syn: unreasoning]
1 people who have severe visual impairments; "he spent hours reading to the blind"
2 a hiding place sometimes used by hunters (especially duck hunters); "he waited impatiently in the blind"
3 something that keeps things out or hinders sight; "they had just moved in and had not put up blinds yet" [syn: screen]
4 something intended to misrepresent the true nature of an activity; "he wasn't sick--it was just a subterfuge"; "the holding company was just a blind" [syn: subterfuge]
1 render unable to see
2 make blind by putting the eyes out; "The criminals were punished and blinded"
3 make dim by comparison or conceal [syn: dim]
- Rhymes: -aɪnd
- A covering for a window to keep out light. The covering may be made of cloth or of narrow slats that can block light or allow it to pass.
- Any device intended to conceal or hide; as, a duck blind.
- baseball slang An 1800s baseball term meaning no score.
- A forced bet.
- A player who is or was forced to make a bet.
covering for a window
- Of a person or animal, unable to see.
- Failing to see,
- The lovers were blind to each other’s faults.
- Of a place, having little or no visibility; as, a blind corner.
- Closed at one end; having a dead end; as, a blind hole, a blind alley.
- Without opening; as, a blind wall.
- blind alley
- blind as a bat
- blind curve
- blind date
- blind drunk, sometimes abbreviated to blind - Synonyms - see
- blind gut
- blind map
- blind pig
- blind pool
- blind spot
- the blind leading the blind
- blind tiger
- rob somebody blind
unable to see
- Albanian: verbër
- Bosnian: slijep
- Breton: dall
- Catalan: cec
- Croatian: slijep
- Czech: slepý
- Danish: blind
- Dutch: blind
- Esperanto: blinda
- Finnish: sokea
- French: aveugle m|f, mal-voyant(e)
- German: blind
- Hebrew: עיוור (yver) , עיוורת (yveret)
- Hindi: अंधा (a.ndhā)
- Hungarian: vak
- Indonesian: buta
- Irish: dall
- Italian: cieco , cieca
- Japanese: 盲目の (moumoku-no), 盲 (mekura, a blind person)
- Kurdish: kor,
- Polish: ślepy , niewidomy
- Portuguese: cego , cega
- Romanian: orb
- Scottish Gaelic: dall
- Slovak: slepý
- Slovenian: slep
- Spanish: ciego , ciega
- Swedish: blind, synskadad
- Tamil: குருடு (kuruDu)
- Telugu: గుడ్డి (guDDi)
- Turkish: kör
- Urdu: (a.ndhā)
- Warlpiri: pampa
make temporarily or permanently blind
EtymologyOld High German blint
- blind; unable or failing to see
Blind can refer to:
- The state of blindness, being unable to see
- Blind or double-blind, a procedure to reduce bias in scientific experiments
- A window blind, a covering for a window
- Hunting blind, used to conceal the observer when watching or hunting birds or other animals
- A blind bet used for betting in certain forms of poker
- Hole Blind, a mechanical engineering term
- A digital signal processing term that indicates ignorance of certain parameters central to a process; e.g., blind deconvolution.
- Blind via, an electrical engineering term used in printed circuit boards.
- Blind (film), a 2007 film by Tamar van den Dop
- Blind Skateboards, a skateboard company
- The Blind (Les Aveugles) was a play written in 1890 by the Belgian playwright Maurice Maeterlinck
- Blind (Corrosion of Conformity album), an album by Corrosion of Conformity
- Blind (album), a 1992 album by The Sundays
- Blind (band), a rock music group from Germany, founded in 2002
- "Blind", a song by Gomez from their album Split the Difference
- Blind (song), a song by Korn
- "Blind", a song by Placebo
- "Blind (Industrial Frost Song)" , a single by the band Industrial Frost
- "Blind", a song by Company Flow
- Blind (Lifehouse song), a song by Lifehouse
- "Blind", a song by TV on the Radio from their 2003 EP Young Liars
- "Blind", a single by Wolfsheim (band)
- "Blind", a song by Deep Purple from their 1969 album Deep Purple
- "Blind", a song by Talking Heads from their 1988 album Naked
- "Blind", a song by Freak Kitchen
- "Blind", a song by Silverchair
- "Blind", a song and music video by Montréal 3rd wave ska group The Planet Smashers
- "Blind (Breed 77 song)", a song by Breed 77 from their album In My Blood
- "Blind", a song by Hercules and Love Affair from album "Hercules and Love Affair"
blind in German: Blind (Begriffsklärung)
blind in French: Blind
blind in Dutch: Blind
blind in Swedish: Blind
ableptical, abstruse, alibi, amaurotic, ambuscade, ambush, ambushment, amorphous, apology, art, artful dodge, artifice, automatic, awning, back band, backstrap, bag of tricks, bamboozle, bandage, bat, be bright, beach umbrella, beacon, beam, bearing rein, becloud, beclouded, bedazzle, befog, bellyband, benight, benighted, bereft of light, bit, blank, blanket, blaze, blind drunk, blind man, blind the eyes, blind to, blind-alley, blinders, blindfold, blindfolded, blinds, blinker, blinkers, blotto, bluff, booby trap, boozy, bosey, breeching, bridle, buried, burn, camouflage, canned, caparison, catch, cavesson, cecal, checkrein, cheekpiece, chicanery, chinband, choked, choked off, chouse, cinch, clear as mud, cloak, close, closed, cloud, clouded, cloudy, collar, color, color-blind, compulsive, conceal, concealed, conditioned, conspiracy, constricted, contracted, contrivance, coup, cover, cover story, cover up, cover-up, covered, covert, craft, crownband, crupper, curb, curtain, curve, curve-ball, cute trick, dark, darken, daze, dazzle, dead, dead-end, deaf, deceit, deceive, deception, delusional, dense, deprive of sight, design, device, diffuse light, dim, dim-sighted, dim-witted, dirty deal, dirty trick, disguise, disguised, dissemble, distract attention from, dodge, dogmatic, drape, drapery, drunk, dull-witted, eclipse, eclipsed, ensconce, enshroud, envelop, excecate, excuse, expedient, eye patch, eyeless, facade, fakement, fast deal, feint, fetch, ficelle, flame, flare, flash, flat, foggy, fool, forced, front, fulgurate, fuzzy, gag swivel, gambit, game, gimmick, girth, give light, glance, glare, gleam, glint, gloss, gloss over, glow, googly, gouge, grift, guise, hackamore, halter, hames, hametugs, handle, harness, hazy, headgear, headstall, heedless, helpless, hemeralopic, hid, hidden, hide, hip straps, hocus-pocus, hoodwink, imperceptive, impercipient, impervious to, impetuous, impulsive, in a cloud, in a fog, in darkness, in eclipse, in purdah, in the wings, incandesce, incommunicado, inconsiderate, indeterminate, indiscriminate, indistinct, inebriated, insensible, insensible to, insensitive, instinctive, intrigue, involuntary, irrational, jaquima, jerk line, joker, juggle, jugglery, keep under cover, knavery, lackluster, lame excuse, latent, light shield, lines, little game, locus standi, lurking hole, luster, lusterless, make blind, maneuver, martingale, mask, mat, mechanical, mind-blind, mindless, misty, mole, move, muddled, muddy, murky, muted, myopic, mysterious, nearsighted, nebulous, nonunderstanding, noseband, nyctalopic, obfuscate, obfuscated, oblivious, obscure, obscured, obtuse, occult, opaque, ostensible motive, out, out cold, overcome, overshadow, paralyzed, parasol, pass, passed out, pixilated, plastered, plot, ploy, pole strap, poor excuse, positive, preoccupied, pretense, pretension, pretext, protestation, public motive, purblind, put-off, racket, radiate, rash, rayless, reckless, recondite, red herring, reflex, reflexive, refuge, reins, ribbons, ruse, saddle, scam, scheme, screen, scurvy trick, secluded, secluse, secret, semblance, send out rays, senseless, sequestered, shade, shader, shadow, shadowing, shadowy, shaft tug, sham, shapeless, shift, shine, shine brightly, shoot, shoot out rays, short-sighted, shortsighted, show, shroud, shut, side check, sightless, sleight, sleight of hand, sleight-of-hand trick, slow, slow-witted, slur over, smoke screen, snaffle, snow-blind, spiritually blind, squeezed shut, stalking-horse, stark blind, stiff, stone-blind, stoned, strangulated, stratagem, strategy, strike blind, stupid, subterfuge, sunblind, sunshade, surcingle, surveillance, tack, tackle, tactic, the blind, the sightless, the unseeing, thick, thoughtless, transcendent, trap, trappings, trick, trickery, tug, umbrella, unapprehending, unaware of, unclear, uncomprehending, unconscious, unconscious of, under an eclipse, under cover, under house arrest, under the table, under wraps, underground, undiscerning, undiscriminating, unenlightened, unintentional, unknown, unopen, unopened, unperceiving, unperceptive, unpersuadable, unplain, unreasoning, unseeing, unsighted, unthinking, unvented, unventilated, unwilled, unwilling, unwitting, vague, varnish, veil, visionless, weak-minded, whitewash, wile, wily device, winker braces, wrapped in clouds, yoke